Food truck on the move: Blissful Bite now serving lunch downtown

Jason Hering, one member of the co-op that owns and operates the Blissful Bite food truck, takes lunch orders Friday, Aug. 9, 2013, in the parking lot at 11th and Massachusetts streets. by Sara Shepherd

The Blissful Bite, Lawrence’s only active food truck, is getting more active. The bright yellow mobile kitchen is now serving lunch from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday in the parking lot at 11th and Massachusetts streets. The truck rolled out the new lunch service last week.

Blissful Bite’s fresh, all-vegetarian offerings have health in mind and are studded with local produce (the Blissful Burrito I ordered Friday contained local free-range eggs and greens, and had I chosen potatoes instead of rice, those would have been local, too).

My Blissful Burrito, with rice and avocado, from the Blissful Bite.

My Blissful Burrito, with rice and avocado, from the Blissful Bite. by Sara Shepherd

In addition to the burrito, regular offerings include Red Lentil Curry and a Sprouted Grain Taco (both gluten-free), the Hassome Avocado (Hass avocado half with amino acids, beet relish and sesame seeds — it actually is pretty awesome!), Haymaker’s Punch and Three Mint Water.

Last week's offerings at the Blissful Bite food truck, now serving lunch Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 11th and Massachusetts streets. by Sara Shepherd

The county subleases the parking lot from Allen Press, and the Blissful Bite is sub-sub-leasing space there for a month, said Jason Hering, one of the members of the co-op that owns and operates the food truck. If sales are good enough and things run smoothly, the co-op hopes to extend that lease, Hering said. The Blissful Bite also can be found at the Cottin’s Hardware Farmers Market on Thursdays and the Downtown Farmers Market on Saturdays.

Tips welcome!

Try something unusual or know of something interesting going on at a Lawrence restaurant? Send me an email at sshepherd@ljworld.com or contact me on Twitter @saramarieshep. For more local food and restaurant news, click here.

Comments

1 year, 3 months ago

"all-vegetarian offerings " This is where they lost my business.

clovis_sangrail 1 year, 3 months ago

Mine, too. I have had some great food from food trucks on both coasts, but not from anything calling itself "all-vegetarian."

I need some Taylor ham on my fried egg sandwich (a.k.a. Jersey breakfast) and some lingua en mi taco.

patkindle 1 year, 3 months ago

I admit, I am not a fan of the veggie diet, but this may be the town for it to work........ I hope it succeeds, the pass or fail.... will come with time to see if it survives......... depending on local support,,, reminds me of all the anonymous walmart haters. that post on line, , but the parking lot is always full... so who is to say??

hankscorpio74 1 year, 3 months ago

For the record, eggs aren't vegetarian, they're meat, so the description that has somehow proved so provocative is inaccurate. Yeah, I know there are plenty of people who may consume otherwise vegetarian diets that still eat eggs, but what do you think an egg is? It's an unborn chicken. It came out of another chicken. It's an animal. It's meat. They serve meat, hear that? So you can go there now! Ha. Yeah.... god forbid you go a meal without meat.

A lot of people (myself included) have restrictive diets, not because of philosophies or fads, but because of legitimate health problems. And there aren't any places to go. Despite its generally progressive reputation, Lawrence is way behind on legitimately healthy, clean, whole-food-based restaurant options, especially anything dairy-free (see Fud and Cafe Gratitude in KC). It would be nice to have a place to go and not have to cook all of my own meals. But, really, good eating like this needn't be limited to people with chronic illness. For starters, it's delicious. And anyone looking to the future - whether its their own personal health and longevity, or to some of the inevitable changes in agriculture, food production and the human diet in the more distant future - should try to keep an open mind and think more about what they put into their bodies - what it actually is, how it got there, etc.

1 year, 3 months ago

Well Mr Hankscorpio74, people can have restrictive diets that require meat. I'm allergic to many veggies and egg yolks. Just because your vision of a good diet works for you, doesn't mean it works for me. You come off rather nasty and sarcastic.

Tandava 1 year, 3 months ago

One need not have a big chunk of meat at every meal. It is probably much healthier to eat a lot less meat than people eat today. (I would like to see all these diehard carnivores slaughter and process their own animals. Of course, it is not practical for everybody to do this all the time. But I would like to see a beef eater slaughter and dress his own cow. I bet there would be far fewer carnivores.)

We are Valley View Farm, one of the Blissful Bite's suppliers of eggs. We also sell meat chickens (but not to them, of course). We also sell live chickens to people who want to have their own flock of backyard birds. Our chickens run around in a three-acre pasture and are fed a diet of fresh vegetables and fruits, and sprouted wheat berries, in addition to regular chicken feed. Our eggs are among the best you will ever eat (if you eat eggs). (^_^)

But, getting back to the Blissful Bite, their food is very delicious! It is a kind of modern gourmet cuisine, creative and artfully done. It is not only delicious, but very nutritious as well. Perfect meals!

flloyd 1 year, 3 months ago

My food allergies include eggs, dairy products and meat...the side effects include (but are not limited to) cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure (hypertension), macular degeneration, Multiple Sclerosis, obesity, arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, ketosis, kidney stones, osteoporosis, erectile dysfunction, stroke, kidney failure, diabetes, aortic aneurysm, vascular dementia, just to name a few.

And, yes, I have plenty of energy. I bicycle 100 to 150 miles a weeks and have done long distance bicycle touring on a veg diet. Dave Scott won the Iron Man Triathlon six years in a row on a vegan diet.

Do a Google search on Jack Lindquist if want further information (NFI) on a cool, plant based diet athlete!

Cheers.

Laundrytime 1 year, 3 months ago

Tried it - it was ok, probably won't be a regular.

Bailee Winetroub 1 year, 3 months ago

Well, I'm pretty stoked about this. See ya today, Blissful Bite.