What are Lawrence's most iconic menu items? Help us decide
MONDAY MORNING UPDATE: Since posting this blog on Friday, I’ve gotten lots more suggestions via email, Twitter, Facebook and comments (below). Following are just a few of the new additions. Anything else, foodies of Lawrence? Let me know today!
• Texas Burrito at Border Bandido • Spring roll salad at Zen Zero • Gyros at Mad Greek • Mini-cinnis from Munchers Bakery • Ricotta pancakes at Mariscos • Hot wings at Henry T’s • French toast at Miltons • Shrimp po’ boy at Terrebonne • Biscuits and gravy at Wheatfield’s • Flaming cheese at Mad Greek • Birria at Mexquisito • Biscuits and gravy at Mirth • Potato pancakes at the Roost • Lentil soup at Aladdin Cafe • Vegetarian biscuits and gravy at Aimee’s Coffeehouse
What would you put on a list of Lawrence's food wonders? The Journal-World is looking for our city’s most iconic, most delicious, most notorious, must-have, can’t-miss, original-to-us menu items (yes, we’re aware this is going to be hard to narrow down).
We’ve talked to some local foodies, chefs and restaurateurs. Now we want your input.
Below are a bunch of nominees — a mix of old standbys and potential new classics. Which of these are worthy? Which aren’t? Which other dishes should be on here? Tell us what you think.
Comment below. Comment on Facebook. Shout out on Twitter @saramarieshep or @lcom. Email Sara at firstname.lastname@example.org. Bring food item directly to Sara at 645 New Hampshire St. (Kidding — she doesn’t accept bribes.)
• Banh Mizza at Limestone Pizza Kitchen
• Bill Self Pasta at 23rd Street Brewery
• Black Bean Quesadillas at Free State Brewing Company
• Buffalo Chicken Meatballs at Merchants
• Cheddar Ale Soup at Free State Brewing Company
• Cinnamon Rolls at Wheatfield’s
• Cream Cheese Doughnuts at Munchers
• French Dip Sandwich at Free State Brewing Company
• Gnocchi (gluten free) at Genovese
• Goober Burger at Yacht Club
• Habanero Salsa at La Parrilla
• Rock Chalk Jayhawk ice cream at Sylas and Maddy’s
• Iguana Dip at Salty Iguana
• Johnny Wilson burger at Johnny’s
• Kale Caesar Salad at Merchants
• Kansas Roll at Wa
• Mama Keno slice at Papa Keno’s
• Phad Thai at Zen Zero
• Pizza at Johnny’s Tavern
• Rabbit Ravioli at 715
• Sausage sandwich at Bigg’s
• Smoke Burger at Burger Stand
• Smoked Trout Crostini at 715
• Thukpa at Zen Zero
• Tortellini cordon blue at Basil Leaf Cafe
• Truffle Fries at Burger Stand
• Tuna Tower at Cafe Beautiful
• Turkey Cranberry Sandwich at Wheatfield’s
• Wang Burger at the Wheel
Try something unusual or know of something interesting going on at a Lawrence restaurant? Send me an email at email@example.com or contact me on Twitter @saramarieshep. For more local food and restaurant news, click here.