The Knifty Knitter is a Kmenace!

I'm distressed about the schism happening among Lawrence knitters. Actually, I should say between knitters and Knifty Knitters.These contraptions have taken the town by storm. Recently I attended a knit-in at a friend's house, and a good half of the crowd were knifting right along on their tube hats and scarves. It was fine and all; then, for some reason, one of the knifters lobbed a name at my side: "Yarn Barners."A "Yarn Barner"? I guess I'll own it. I admit to being a knitting traditionalist: I like scratchy wool, good cotton, and undyed alpaca. I like tiny little #3 needles, and knitting with four of them at a time. I once made socks on #1s, and used a toothpick as a cable needle. My face pinches up like a mother-in-law at the thought of acrylic. Eww. I need to point out, however, that I'm less a "Yarn Barner" than simply a knitter.The Knifty Knitter, I have been told, is for the crafting-intimidated. It's a circle (for hats, or perhaps worsted-weight tube tops) or long bar (for scarves or pot holders) with prongs going around the length of it. By wrapping yarn around the prongs a specific way, and then pulling with a dental hook, the knifter can imitate--imitate--knitting.Now if you're one of these new-fangled knifters, don't get keyed up just yet. Let me work this through.Yes, to be frank, I don't get the appeal of the Knifty Knitter. The supplies and equipment are larger and less portable. You can't decrease or increase, purl, cable, or turn a heel on it. It may be newer, but it's certainly less flexible than simply buying a pair of #8 needles. How many bulky stocking caps can a girl make? Yet in the spirit of mending this rift in the crafting community, I'm accepting the knifters. If anything, the Knifty Knitter is keeping people out of trouble (idle hands are the devil's workshop, you know). However, I want to send out a gentle plea: give knitting, real knitting, a try. I understand the intimidation. I've been there myself. But let me tell you, and please believe me: _knitting is easy._Once the lustre of your purple Knifty Knitter begins to wear off, buy yourself a pair of #8 needles (any brand will do; for a yarn snob, I love the heck outta my cheapo Boyes). Go to Crafty & Co. or the Yarn Barn downtown and tell them you want to learn how to knit. Take a class or buy a book. Talk to a knitter you know. Check out www.knitty.com. Your world will open up. With those same #8s, you can make a ribbed hat with decreases to actually fit your head. Then you can make a funny ski hat (the long kind, like from when you were a kid). Then you can make a scarf, and then a sweater. You can make grandma some dishcloths. Make a baby blanket for your breeder friends. Or a smart little sweater vest for your goofy nephew.Next thing you know, you'll be knitting wigs and nose warmers and Joey Ramone dolls and a few bawdy things too lewd to mention here (yes, I have patterns for all these goodies, and yes, my mom reads my blogs). None of these are possible on the Knifty Knitter.So jump on in! We'll be swapping cable needles before you know it.

Comments

quinn 12 years, 5 months ago

I have no dog in the fight between knifters (fab word) and knitters, but on Yahoo's Buzz Log for today there's a list of Knitting Blogs:

leslie 12 years, 5 months ago

If it's not too cumbersome to explain in text, how does a knifter decrease and increase? And how does the knifter knit and purl (and therefore rib)?

lhester 12 years, 2 months ago

Here's the thing. I have been trying to knit for YEARS, and I have never been able to get past the swatch stage. It just takes me FOREVER!! I don't know if it's the fact that I have ADHD, or what, but I get so bogged down with the abbrs., and the patterns, and the time spent, I get pissed and give up. ANd crochet......forget it! I don't know WHO said that was easier. I can't do that, even if someone had a gun to my head and demanded a granny square or die...might as well pull the trigger cause you might get one tangled knot IF you're lucky. I was at Michaels and saw the Knifty, and I think I will get it. I would like to say I completed SOMETHING. I think I could do it with the KNifty, and I would feel so good about myself, just knowing I made it. Easy or not. I would wear that ugly hat with pride, send my kids out the door with their ugly scarf, and give my new baby nephew an ugly acrylic blanket with a huge smile on my face. Yes, I made that.

Don't, Leslie! Don't be co-opted by the dark side!

Oh, wait. We're just talking about knitting...

DanaWheels 12 years, 4 months ago

I just bought the Knifty Knitter set, because due to my physical disability, I've tried to knit, and found I can't do it... so I thought I'd try the Knifty Knitter. Now, can anyone recommend any good URLs with ideas and patterns that use the set?

Dana

kellymb 12 years, 5 months ago

Y'all... I bought a Knifty Knitter set about two weeks ago. I was in Michaels, with a 40% off coupon in my hand. I am a sucker for those old fifties, sixties and seventies pattern books at the thrift stores and thought the loom kit looked like something I'd seen used to work up a really cool afghan pattern. I hate it when there's a great pattern in one of these old books, but I don't have the tool they used. It ended up costing me maybe 10 bucks for the whole thing. I was thinking that it would be entertaining for a couple of weeks... would keep me out of trouble for at least one weekend... and would be something I could teach to a craft-impaired friend of mine and her three kids all at the same time (since there are four looms in the kit).

I'm learning to knit for real, but I loved my little jiffy loom as a kid. All my relatives got pot holders that year. I even contemplated making a blanket with those little squares, then I learned how to crochet (at age nine)...and I was off and running with granny squares.

I looked at the Knifter kit (and yes, that is a WONDERFUL word) and thought, "There are some real possibilities there." I just knew that someone would have come up with some patterns for some great stuff, besides the AWFUL clunky hat that the Provo Craft company recommends.

Anyway, I Googled the phrase "knifty knitter", and found y'all. I was lured in right away, because when I was living in Kansas, the Yarn Barn was one of my favorite stores. It was an hour and a half from my rural Brown County home, but worth the trip. My husband is from Lawrence, born and raised. If we are ever lucky enough to move back there, I'm looking forward to meeting you lot.

-Kelly

ps: How do you refer to someone born in Lawrence?

leslie 12 years, 5 months ago

Kelly, you sound like our kind of gal! As for your question, I've heard the term "Lawrencian." Then there's always "townie." Doesn't quite get to the marrow of it, though.

kellymb 12 years, 5 months ago

I fell out of my chair when I read PIGS, too. Then my husband wanted to know what to call all the Projects in Great Big Rubbermaid Tubs. And Projects in Gallon Baggies. And Projects in Tote Bags. And Projects in Under-bed Boxes. And Projects That Are Finished, But I Haven't Been to the Post Office Lately. And Projects Taking over the House and Ruining His Life.

And y'all just have to come up with a better term for someone born in Lawrence.

kissmytiara1 12 years, 5 months ago

On a tip from an anonymous source, I have read all of the commentary. What a wonderful exchange of ideas! There is a lot of room for al varied fiber experiences. I own several knitting looms, including one that could be used with sport weight to fingering yarn to knit socks, barring an afterthought heel and a conventionally knitted toe, to make it truly wearable.

It's all good! The other night my husband and I went to a friend's place for movie night. Since I did not have a knit in the dark project, I took one of my looms. I enjoyed the film while making a funnel hood on my (wait for it) glow in the dark loom. At home there are more than two pair of socks in Opal, a poncho project, hats loomed and not, an afghan that I take up in fits,a foofy scarf or two and lots of other PIGS (Projects in Grocery Sacks.)

Frankly, I don't like the KK looms much at all as they are stiff and not really comfortable for me to use. If Boye or Lion made glow in the dark knitting needles I'd probably buy them. Heck, I remember that one of the first places I went to in 1982 in Lawrence was the Yarn Barn. Fiber arts give me the capacity to create and explore. Thanks for a great thread,

Tammy

ukulelelady 12 years, 5 months ago

E TU, LESLIE?!?! Nnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking the same thing about the number of postings here versus the book club. Remember that statistic about how few people read novels, the one that started the whole book club? Apparently it was correct. Unless lots and lots of people read novels and just refuse to talk about them.

This blog has been a HOOT, I tells ya!

Tim vonHolten 12 years, 5 months ago

trainwreck. . . the day that guided by voices is as entertaining as knitting will be the day bob pollard stops faking drunkenness on stage to feel like someone who rocks.

kalli. . . that hat was not cute.

woxy 12 years, 5 months ago

Oh Lori!

I was restraining myself from commenting on this topic ... but I'm going to have to knit the "302 calories"

If your nine-year-old is really wanting to knit, my ten-year-old will be happy to encourage her. Heck, she'd be happy to learn to knift, too. We had a little device that we got on one of our New York trips that made I-cord, like a knitting noddy but a different shape. (figured out who I am yet?)

Let me know if you want to get them together for some knifting/kntting. We'll just save our licorice knitting for after their bedtimes. We can save the next generation from this rift!

Jillster 12 years, 5 months ago

I think the word "Kmenace" in the title of the blog, plus your use of the term "real knitting" to describe what you do, as opposed to Knifting, are what some people are getting up in arms about. Oh -- and your insistance that Knifers are only "imitating" knitting. I'm sure that one rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. It did me, and I'm neither a knitter or a knifter (I'm a spinner, weaver, and netter). Your original blog doesn't really come off to all of your readers as a gentle, humorous encouragement to try knitting with needles as opposed to a Knifty Knitter. It's more like gentle, patronzing criticism. And that opened the door for others to comment and crap on the Knifters, which wasn't great, either.

Also, for more information on increasing, decreasing, rib stitching, etc. on a knitting frame...if you happen to have the book "The Step by Step Needlecraft Encyclopedia" by Judy Brittain, there is information on these techniques in frame knitting on page 87. (I'll type it out here if you'd like...just let me know.)

Knitting, or even knifting, isn't for everyone. I don't find much enjoyment in knitting, knifting, or crochet, even though I'm really enjoying learning to use a drop spindle to make yarn. I have friends who are accomplished knitters, friends who do both knitting and knifting, and my dear ol' mother bought a set of Knifters because she thought it might be fun to make something simple (she would be one of those "craft impaired" people). I'm a firm believer in just letting people do what makes them happy, and if they don't want to do more than something simple and quick, even though it's limited...why rain on their parade by telling them that what they are doing isn't real, or that it's only an imitation? Where is the humor in that?

DJ_Trainwreck 12 years, 5 months ago

So I gotta say that it's a little bit weird that an argument about knitting gets more posts than the book club (twice as many as the last one in fact).

Well you folks go right ahead and work yourselves into a lather over knitting or knifting or whatever the hell it is your'e bitching about. GBV is on Austin City Limits in a few minutes and that's gotta be more entertaining.

DJTW

lori 12 years, 5 months ago

*Well you folks go right ahead and work yourselves into a lather over knitting or knifting or whatever the hell it is your'e bitching about.*

It's not called "stitch and bitch" for nothing, baby.

While knifties may be fun and interesting, and I really do think they are a nice stepping stone for some, I just don't think that they are even close to capable of doing any of these patterns:

Which makes them seem useless in the grand scheme of things, huh?

brewslave 12 years, 5 months ago

I'll admit to being a bit of purist myself. I used to think that parents that coddled their children with training wheels, both literal and figurative, were taking the easy way out both for themselves and their children. But the simple fact is, some of us need training wheels. And I'd much rather see someone up on a bike with the "crutch" of an aid than sitting on the sidelines. I would rather see people being creative than destructive and if some people need the aid of Knifty Knitter to make a scarf or sweater, so be it. Who are we to crap on their creativity? And if we were all as oldschool as we say we are we'd be sending this out as a chain letter written on a typewriter. The Knifty Knitter is just another tool. No need to vilify it or the people that use it.

knot_impressed 12 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps it is your use of words with negative connotations (i.e. "gimmick") that gets the knifters up in arms. Or perhaps it's that you're touting your own talents under a thin guise of criticism. Crap, I once knitted a body suit for a Barbie doll using embroidery thread, tapestry needles, and a strategically mounted magnifying glass - but you don't see me criticising those who opt for unwieldy 1s and a bulky toothpick. Please, allow people to select their own means without fear of snide comments from the purist quarter.

leslie 12 years, 5 months ago

Fear of snide comments? Notice that the name calling began with "Yarn Barner"! YARN BARNER! I am the victim here!

Seriously, though, careful reading will show that I am simply encouraging knifters to try knitting. To those who may be concerned about decreased sales of the Knifty, I'd like to point out that an avid knitter will eventually desire multiple needles, and the snobbier this knitter becomes, the more she will spend on these needles. The store that sells these Kniftys also sells nice needles. Let's think it through.

And to you, Ms. knot_impressed, I believe it is you who is critically touting her talents. J'accuse!

Kalli 12 years, 5 months ago

I want you all to know that Leslie was spotted at a home on New York Street this Sunday morning having crossed over to the dark side.

Yes, that's right.

I saw her with my own two eyes this very morning KNIFTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She made a cute little hat, and her head didn't spin around or anything. Amazing.

Rob Gillaspie 12 years, 5 months ago

Fuck the Knifters. Keep it old school. This Knifty shit sounds like the craft equivilent of a Thighmaster or one of those things that scoops out the cat box for you. Your traditional know-how will stand tall long after this "innovation" fades into obscurity, just you watch.

lori 12 years, 5 months ago

Santa brought my 9 year old knifty knitters for Christmas. She's made one scarf so far, and now would like to "learn to knit for real."

So don't give in; I'm sure we can work out a deal where A can borrow a Knifty Knitter from her (Santa always goes overboard and bought the entire set).

I still think it's just a stepping stone. They just aren't as versatile. Packing her little scarf project around is much more cumbersome than me packing any of my projects around. Most of mine fit into my purse, so I can pull them out and work on them for a couple of minutes anytime; hers needs an entire freakin bag, and one must be sitting or standing next to a table to really be able to do it.

However, the knifty knitters has definately renewed her interest in knitting, so that's a positive.

I'm digging "Death Comes for the Archbishop." She is totally living up to the expectations I have. When I read Willa Cather, I expect to experience certain emotions, and I'm there, baby. Almost makes me want to move back to central Kansas and live in the middle of cow pie central. Almost.

leslie 12 years, 5 months ago

Goodness. I said I was a knitting purist in many ways; I'm not exactly running through town boycotting the means of production and demanding we all return to the fields. (I'd like to point out, for instance--and because the OED was mentioned earlier--that I celebrated when they formally antiquated the split infinitive. So there. I can be a woman of progress and change.)

There is no comparison between the Knifty and training wheels. Eventually, my son will ride his bike without the need for the extra wheels. A knifter, however, can knift for an eternity and never learn how to knit.

One purpose of the blog was to begin a fun dialogue between the two camps that have developed in the knitting community. Knifters have defended themselves well, and have articulated the benefits of knifting. Likewise, knitters have done the same. The second purpose--read closely--was to encourage people, once they were done/bored with their Knifty, to learn to knit. All of the knifters I've met are lovely people, and I want to continue seeing them at the local knitting events and SnBs. I worry that the Knifty promotes a sense of "knitting is too hard, but even YOU can do THIS," which, barring physical limitations, is not the case. Although I think the Knifty is a bit of a gimmick, I never "crapped on" or vilified the people who use it.

Tim vonHolten 12 years, 5 months ago

ukulelelady:

surely you can't compare this knitting (or knifting) goobery to the sublime majesty of finessing a floating rapala under an overhanging willow with the ol' mitchell 300X. england has clearly made you daft.

allisonvisocsky 12 years, 5 months ago

I will admit it, I am a Knifty Knitter. I have done tradition knitting, with much ease. However, I have carpal tunnel syndrome and the Knifty Knitter has been a god send to me and my aching hands.

I am working on scarves to sell for a fundraiser, The Breast Cancer 3-Day, and I am whipping them out pretty quickly to raise my money.

Traditional or not, I agree this type of knitting has been around for quite some time, and it is here to stay so like it or lump it.

leslie 12 years, 5 months ago

I hadn't considered the Knifty appealing to those who physically have trouble knitting. allisonvisocsky raises a good point.

I'm interested in the sudden appeal of the Knifty has in context of the loom's history. I know knitting is experiencing a renaissance, but I do think there will be die-hard knitters remaining once BUST et al. move on to other hot hobbies. Will the Knifty have the same staying power?

Also, producers of the Knifty have a video to show it in action:

Can't say I want to knift, but I am considering buying one for my son...I must...remain...strong...

crazyleaflady 12 years, 5 months ago

PS: I hear that the Oxford English Dictionary will consider a new word if they have proof of it being published 3 times. I think we need to get knifter into the deadwood edition of lawrence.com and maybe get BUST onto it!

PPS: Beloved TV personality Tim vonHolten is a fishing goober! GOOBER! (And yes, I am a craft goober, and more besides--clearly, given my rather-too-intimate knowledge of the OED). GOOBER!

liz 12 years, 5 months ago

You know, it occurs to me that this whole knifty vs knitters thing is a matter of product versus process. For me, knitting is more about the process. The motion of the needles is soothing to me, and the product at the end is just a nice bonus. Speed of completion and quantity of product don't matter that much to me, therefore I have no use for the knifty.

I'm not saying there's any shame in being "product" orientend, it's a philosophy that keeps our economy strong, it's just not how I choose to approach knitting.

Chris Deman 12 years, 5 months ago

P.S. I'm a tried-and-true wholly-addicted old-fashioned and, I'll add speedy, knitter. Gimme size 3s and I'm making 4 pairs of mittens in the next week (okay, I work a "real" job. I don't have THAT much time to knit.) That said, I will never ever ever ever attempt an afgan or lap blanket as a knitter. Even with size 35 needles. What a waste of knittin' energy (my personal opinion). However! The next time I go to make a baby blanket for a baby to puke and pee on or even think about making an afgan to gather dog and cat hairs, I'm pickin me up a knifty knitter and I'll be glad that they exist! AND, I'll be done with that obligated blanket in an evening. Whew!

Am I going to tell said recipient of said gift(s) that I Knifty Knitted it? I don't know why I wouldn't--I've made a piece in ribbed or stockinette stitch and there's nothing to be ashamed about when it comes to Knifty Knitting because it's the thought that counts, right?

I love that Rob can get profanely angry about Knifty Knitters. I'm not even being sarcastic here; it brings a smile to my face.

And Thighmasters, well, they can just go to hell.

Leslie: 30 pages of "Archbishop" under my belt. You'd best be reading this time...

crazyleaflady 12 years, 5 months ago

I wonder what the anti-knifters think about looms? Is it just that the knifter is purple (or green, or yellow) plastic that bugs the yarnbarners? If it were fashioned of wood with a fine patina won by years of busily-moving gramma-fingers, would it be legit? Just curious. (I'm a knitter and a knifter.)

mac 12 years, 5 months ago

Werid... I gave my friend a Knifty Knitter for xmas because she couldn't needle-knit. The second she opened it, she threw it to the side and was healed... a needle-knitter! (swear it true... I still don't understand).

I have fond memories of doing the same process on a wooden spool with 4 nails in one end... the tube was a long shoe lace that came out. Hours of entertainment.

Knitting vs Knifting? Poses a similar question that I ponder: Art vs. Craft? (Craft was a dirty word in my house growing up). But really... if you are making something and feel good about it, what's the harm? It's all legal, and my one experience of Knifting had the most even 'stiches' and not one was dropped. Made a hat. Got it out of my system. (and like my good friend said... THIS IS LIKE CRACK!) Then I mailed it away (to my friend that learned how to knit... still.. SO weird.)

Chris Deman 12 years, 5 months ago

Excellent questions! Come to Crafty & Company and we'd be glad to show you! (Text is heavy on this one, sorry!)

Cheers, Chris

ukulelelady 12 years, 5 months ago

Mr. monkeywrench wrote:

"anyway, i had no idea what a goober you are. sure, i know you're a knitter (and a damn fine one), but naming needle brands? wow. that's just crazy."

My immediate reaction to this comment is, "And you don't do this with fishing equipment?" You goober.

As a language loving geek, I have to say that I dig the new terms "knifters" (n.) and "knift" (v.) You should send these in to that dictionary editor gal who accepts proposals for new words!

I will not take sides in this debate, because I'm torn... I have absolutely no desire to knift myself, but do not begrudge most pure-hearted attempts to craft and make things by hand (...oh, but don't even get me started on cross-stitch! Look, I made little thread x's all over an over-priced, ready-made picture of a teddy bear! It probably wouldn't bother me so much if cross-stitchers didn't also see themselves as highly talented because of this hobby. Now there are a few cool cross-stitchers who design their own patterns and do old-style things, so I know I'm generalizing. Maybe this will start a great cross-stitch debate.)

I'm currently residing in the U.K., a land known for knits, and thought it worth noting that not one knifty knitter is in sight. This is a nation of Yarn Barners, to be sure, but so far they are not as repelled by acrylic as I hoped they would be. I hear a trip up to Scotland is needed to find the hardcore spin-your-owns, who I'm sure will out yarnbarn the yarnbarners.

I was sitting last night with a friend who was being mocked for her Knifty Knitter. Her response: "Yeah, but I finished my project? Did you?"

Her tormentor, I believe, had not.

Still, one wonders what the point of knitting is if you're going to cheat. I mean, they do make clothes already -- you can buy them at the dry goods store and everything.

It's official. There's nothing posted to these blogs that I won't comment on.

Tim vonHolten 12 years, 5 months ago

"My face pinches up like a mother-in-law at the thought of acrylic."

i believe you mean, "my face pinches up like my mother-in-law's at the thought of acrylic." which is ironic due to her love of acrylic.

mother-in-law crazy.

liz 12 years, 5 months ago

"I finshed my project?" And the other knitter was supposed to feel dissed? If I stuck a Lean Cuisine in the microwave and told you that "I cooked dinner tonight" would you be impressed or would I have the right to feel more accomplished than the person who skipped dinner all together?

As a knitter who had a very rocky start (that included a few unfinished projects), I have to say that I'm glad I never copped out with the knifty.

Jillster 12 years, 5 months ago

"Knifty Knitters" are just plastic knitting rakes, or knitting frames, which have been around since the Middle Ages. I'm not pulling your leg, either. If you've got a copy of Richard Rutt's "History of Hand Knitting," you should find a reference to peg-frame knitting there.

Craft-challenged or not, the Knifty Knitters are doing something that has been around for quite a while, and will be around for quite some time to come. Just let them enjoy it. And when they get bored, they might actually try "real" knitting, if they don't have the impression by now that Yarn Barners are purist snobs. ;)

Chris Deman 12 years, 5 months ago

"Frame, or Rake Knitting, has been known by many different names, such as Ring, Box, Bung, Spool, Reel and French knitting. In France we find that the great tasselled caps worn by the Revolutionaries were knitted this way on ring or circular frames, while shawls, petticoats, blankets, stockings, bags, purses, sacks, nets, hammocks and even curtains were made on Ring or Straight knitting frames in France, Britain, Germany and other parts of middle Europe...[and]enjoyed an unexpected wave of popularity during the World War of 1914-1918, when it served as a congenial occupation for the blind and wounded."

Quoted from Mary Thomas's Knitting Book, Dover edition, p. 115-125

The chapter goes on with instructions on increasing, decreasing, ribbing, vertical & horizontal stripes, open patterns, and different types of stitches.

Seems the Knifty Knitters are more versitile than thought. I'm glad you brought this up in your blog as I didn't know how I'd get this information out to the public. Your help is appreciated.

Cheers!

Chris Crafty & Company. P.S. Thanks for the plug in your Blog, Leslie!

leslie 12 years, 5 months ago

And I have to say, PIGS is the best friggin' term I've heard in years.

leslie 12 years, 5 months ago

I just noticed that with some rope and maybe a firefighter's pick, one could knift off the Rockhill sculpture on the front page today.

anthonysnana 11 years, 4 months ago

You all are being very hard on the knifty knitter! My sister, aunt and I all love what we have been making with this great invention. And as for the # 8 needles, yes they are probably good for what you are using them for but you'll never be accused of stabbing someone with the knifty knitter. It just can not happen. I love my knifty knitter, I had carpial tunnel surgery less than a month ago and I have already made one scarf in my spare time. You can not do that with the knitting needles.

Ladyarwenna 11 years ago

My goodness! What an excuse to start an argument. I am a rake knitter and I don't say nasty things about needle knitters. I wont call you "traditional" or "real" knitters because my art form is also old and just as valid.

Some of you have whined about what "can't" be done on Knifty Knitters and it gave me quite a laugh considering I do those things on mine with no trouble what so ever. I increase and decrease, knit short rows and turn heels with ease. Just because you haven't seen someone do it doesn't mean it isn't possible. Maybe you should give things you haven't tried the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. I would hate to think I was depriving myself of a new hobby just because I formed a premature opinion that was incorrect.

Lori

purlingsprite 10 years, 8 months ago

I am a loom knitter and a needle knitter. I can easily make socks on both needles and knitting looms (knifty knitters). Although they may seem big and cumbersome to a needle knitter. The knitting looms provide a way for those whom are unable to needle knit a channel for their creativity.

The post above is a bit mis-informed. You can most definitely purl on a knitting loom, increase/decrease, do short-row shaping, knit socks with heels, loom knit cables and even lace.

Hop on over to this link to see some of the great things you can do on a knitting loom: http://isela.typepad.com

rlknittingonlooms 10 years, 7 months ago

Threatened? As other posters said-loom knitting goes back to the middle ages in history. It should be noted that knitting guilds had to limit loom knitter memberships because otherwise the needle knitters couldn't keep up and make money. Something about being "slow".

I knit on both needle and loom, and prefer looms hands down. Portabaility isn't issue, (just bring smaller loom and smaller projects). I have a friend who is a "snobby sneedler" and yet my loom projects complete with Garter, Cable, and Mobius stitches turn out just as well if not better than her needle projects, if she completes her needle projects at all. Let's see, she over this week was saying her baby blanket she is knitting is taking too long. I with the same amount of time have made two snowman scarfs, a preemie set, a pair of mittens, two harry potter scarfts and a matching hat for one of those scarfs.

Personally, I find you to an elitist snob who is trying to control what other people do with their crafting time. The people I make my stuff for never ask me if I made it on a loom, or with needles. They just appreciate warm gifts from the heart. For you to make yourself as some kind of knitting goddess because you use only the "best" and "approved" i.e. knitting needles is really just a cover for what we call sanctimous bitchiness.

Honey 10 years ago

I have to say...this is my favorite blog! ;) I am sitting (lying) here on modified bedrest &...looking for Knifty Knitter loom patterns. You guys are funny!

I must say I agree that looming isn't the same as knitting or crocheting. I know how to crochet, but for some reason...after over 2 years of trying to knit...I'm unable. All the DVDs & how to books just don't help me out at all. By the way..I have a small fortune in how to knit stuff if anyone would ever like to buy it! ;) JK! But, seriously..until the day comes when I can actually learn to knit, & I don't have to translate patterns over to kklooming (you can learn how to do that at www.loomknit.com). But, until the day comes...I'm a loomin' away! ;) I've made 3 hats that look just like they were knitted by hand & a blanket...all in the SAME day. Now with ADD & ADHD this is so doable for me. But, if anyone is ever near Dayton or Cincinnati, Ohio I'd love to be taught how to knit. Because just like embroidery on the machine make a nice something there is nothing like that hand embroidered or quilted baby blanket your grandma or mom made...Nothing! So...while no one asks about how it was made...there is something to be said about doing things by hand.

Oh, and for those with carpel-tunnel....my mom had it so bad she couldn't even write a check. Even after 2 surgeries...nothing. She went to a chiropractor...& she was back to crocheting, quiliting, embroidery in no time...she even took on my younger brother in a nintendo game...(she'd make mario jump & she'd move her hands up at the same time...ahh..I miss her!) So, there is hope for the soothing repetivie motions you miss.

Enjoy your knitting or looming...and remember...things done by hand are so much better than things done by machine. The humanity in the project makes it great yes...but when it's all humanity & no technology... Look at the Amish furniture vs something made with power tools, screws & nails. There is a definite appreciation for both...but I'm willing to pay extra & tell how it was made ENTIRELY by hand & of wood if it is made entirely by hand.

From a KKLoomer...who plans on learning one day how to knit...just as soon as someone will teach me!

Personally, I find you to be hal-larious! ;) And, if anyone would like to upgrade the Dar a Luz sale (which is our nonprofit birth support group) to include hand knitted items or any baby related craft to help us raise funds I would LOVE to accept those donations. You can check us out at www.daraluznetwork.com & email me if you have any questions or need an address! But seriously...y'all are funny!

Honey www.daraluznetwork.com

777samg 6 years, 6 months ago

Although most of your points are valid, I specifically take issue with your statement, "You can't decrease or increase, purl, cable, or turn a heel on it." Quite to the contrary, ingenious knifters have founds ways to do exactly that! I am an avid knifter (although I am a big fan of "real" knitting as well), and even though I have a hard time picking up on complicated stitches, I have learned how to purl, decrease, increase, and turn a heel on my knifty knitter; and although I don't personally know how to cable, I have seen instructions of how to do so listed online before. If you want proof of the knifty knitter's capacity for more complex stitches, I suggest you do a Youtube search or Google it.

Also, the purpose for knifty knitters is not purely ease; I was a "real knitter" all through high school, but once I reached college, I found that I no longer had time to knit normally. Projects that might have taken a couple of days in my less-packed life suddenly were taking weeks to overcome. The knifty knitter is a real time-saving device for those who don't have enough hours in the day to knit the normal way with satisfactory results. Its speed also makes it useful if you intend to sell your knit products (as I do to make a few bucks in my spare time), or when Christmas comes around and you suddenly realize you have twenty people to knit for and ten days to do it in (as is my only-slightly-exaggerated experience), or when an organization sends out a call to knit hundreds of beanies for needy children in Africa and you want to be a large contributor (like a group that I worked with last year). Knifters aren't necessarily lazy; just pressed for time or more in need of quantity than quality. Just saying. :)